Thursday, February 4, 2010

College Student

I remember back to my first day at ARCC. I was pretty nervous, my palms were sweaty and my heart was ready to burst from my chest. I had no clue what to expect. What would my professors be like? Who would be in my classes? Would I know anyone? Those were just a few of the questions racing through my mind. It didn't help I had no idea where my classes were. However, thankfully for a map, and help from the information desk I was able to make my way to class. When I first walked through the door of my first class, I was so relieved to see some familiar faces. I didn't have to worry about being surrounded by complete strangers anymore. As the class started and progressed, I became more relaxed. I was comfortable sitting by those I knew, and those I didn't seemed alright with me. It surprised me on how the class was run though. Coming from high school, things were more hands on, but this college class was purely lecture. I tried my best to keep up with the professor, scribbling away furiously in my notebook to every single word. By the end of class, I had pages of unreadable chicken scratch. My efforts were in vain. The four hour class seemed to slip by so fast. After everything was packed up, I was done for the day. That was a great enjoy. Gone were the days of seven hours worth of class blocks. Gone were the days of 7 a.m. bus rides to school. Finally, gone were the days of high school drama. I was a college student now.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty common to have those butterflies on the first day of college. I think that will be a reoccurring theme in most posts on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way when I went to beauty school right out of high school. As I've gotten older I guess I have learned to embrace change and to learn to adjust to each new class that I have taken! It definitely gets easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grade: 8.5/10
    Mistakes
    • Spell out acronyms (ARCC) the first time you use them and put the acronym in parentheses behind it. Don't expect your readers to know what you're talking about. This is the way to write the sentence: “My first day at Anoka-Ramsey Community College (ARCC)...”
    • This doesn't flow: "However, thankfully for a map... I was able..."
    • Should be four-hour because you're using it as a modifier

    ReplyDelete