Thursday, April 1, 2010

Bookstore

Books are vital to a student’s college life, yet there are a variety of problems people face with them. First off, the costs of books can be quite high. Many textbooks can be priced well over $200 per book. Even buying used textbooks, students often spend hundred dollars for a semesters worth of literature. Not to mention, the bad condition many used books are in, and frustration one feels when their book is missing important pages. Also, when it comes to buying books it isn’t rare to see that the bookstore doesn’t have every book you need in stock. Sometimes it takes weeks for them to arrive, and at other times they never do. Finally, when the semester is over students sell back their books, and they often get only a slight fraction of what they paid for them. In this story I will aim to understand why there are so many problems students face when it comes to books, and what they can do to try and save some money.

I came up with this idea because over the time I've been in college, I've dealt with many of these issues. I know I'm not the only one too as many of my friends and other students have gone through the same problems. I've always kind of wondered why these things happened. I believe other students would be interested in knowing why these problems occur and why the textbooks are so costly.

4 comments:

  1. I never thought about the college books! That would be an interesting topic to write about! Good luck with finding all of the information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great topic. I've encountered many problems with the conditions of the books as well as the price. It's very annoying to have to spend almost $200 on a book and only get $30 back for it at the end of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic. It's the worst when they simply don't buy as many books as there are seats in a class and you have to go through a third party like amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you! Books are so expensive, and not to mention when you have pages missing it can be very stressful trying to find the missing information. Not to mention, I never did understand why students recieve less than half of the money back of what it cost for the book. I never did understand that? I mean, I know that a college is just another business, but you think that they would give you at least half back?

    ReplyDelete