Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Side of Leads

There were quite a few mistakes I've had with leads. Often, I'm really tempted to get ALL the information from an article packed into one sentence. This not only makes the sentence extremely long, but also makes it confusing. So, I've learned to keep it short and sweet. I just try to focus on getting the important information and leaving out the rest. Also, keeping a lead specific rather than a vague is ideal. This lets the reader know exactly what the lead and article is about. Finally, by creating an interesting lead you're more likely to grab the reader's attention. If you have a boring lead then the reader might simply bypass the article. So, while I still have a lot to learn, I'm beginning to grasp the concept of news writing.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There definatley are alot of things that are involved in writing a good lead, I also have much difficulting with keeping the lead short, but the hardest part about keeping it short(for me) is keeping it enticing at the same time. I always just try to find out what is the EXACT news story I want to write about, and summarize the most intersting aspect of it, in a manner that still lets the reader know what the subject matter is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. Short and sweet is always a good idea in a lead. I have a tendency to drag on a bit with long sentences as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also found that making the lead creative as possible is key. It really grabs the reader's attention and draws them into the story. It is hard to be creative and pack the needed information in a small amount of space but I think we'll all get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's probably my biggest problem with leads also. I try to fit so much information into one sentence, and it becomes this big run-on. Keeping it short and sweet is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I never thought that leads would be so hard. But it is challenging to write an interesting detailed lead that is long winded. I think we will all learn a lot about something that seemed so simple as a lead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having a good lead is hard, but in order to do it right you must understand what your doing! well said post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grade: 9.5/10
    Mistake: Inserted "a" before vague

    ReplyDelete